BMW 320/25i family car + trackday car. tips needed
6158 besök totalt
locoolgura
Kungälv
Här sen Jul 2010

Ny på att skriva
inlägg i forumet

Trådstartare
hej! I'm new at the forum but I think some people might now who I am, at least in the BMW sport club. Yap, I'm writing in english, the thing is that I'm from Spain and my swedish writing skills aren't good enough yet, but is no problem for me to reed or talk in svenska .
OK now the car, from the beggining it was a red original 320i coupe from 92, 15000mil (as you say here in sweden) complete service book from bmw until 10000mil and some rust but quite good shape overall.

that was 2007, and that time I didn't have a clue about BMW's or the racing culture here in Sweden, so my idea was to make it as I would have done it in Spain, as efective as possible and not extremly expensive, so I bought :
H&R cup kit 40/15
Azev typ A 7½ x 17 with 215/45
EBC discs with green stuff pads
OMP steering wheel and gear nob
it was my first car and it had everything I allways wanted when I was a kid

but then a rainy day...

well well, I'm bilplåtslagare and the boss gave me the ok to work with my car after work, so it was just to get on with it

the front wings, grill and bumper got changed

the bumper needed to be replaced so why not upgrade to a ///M bumper from a cabrio

and the other side got changed because of the rust

the hjulhus needed a little rikt too

the door didn't get replaced

and the rear wing needed quite a lot of job too

then when allmost the hole repairing job was done we started thinking, one side of the car is going to look like new and the other is going to be rusty...mmmm why not paint the hole car instead? mmmmm why not change color? mmmm OK

yes I know we should have taken the engine out but my polish work mates had done this before and they promissed me that the result was going to be ok, so we took appart everything around it and masked it.

quite ok if you ask me

and the car got its own coat of the whitest white we found

then I painted my Azev rims in black and the result does't need coments, I was just in love with my car

now it was done, but I was still using it as a winter and summer car, so... what can I say, it was ment to happen, no dubdäck wet snow and I drove into a trafic sign, so I decided to do something I wanted to do when I painted it but I didn't have time to do

and there it is painted

then I discovered BMW sport club and all the racing clubs in sweden and I decided that it was time to bring some spanish warm blood to the swedish scene, but the car would have to get some new godis to at least be able to drive more than 5 laps around a track, so I started thinking what could I need or what would be cool to have... so I went to Schmiedmann to see what they had... and I ended up ordering some things, they gave me some good advices too

shot shift for quicker gear changes

headers + race cats

and bigger drilled brakes from the e46 330

quite a difference in size if you ask me

nice lift ah? the rear got drilled discs too but in original size

tight is good

this was easy job but it took me 3 hours anyway, so tight isn't allways good

now it was ready to go but I had to get new rims for the summer tyres because after a day of play... well you know... now I only have 3 Azev rims. so I bought some cheap ///M5 replicas with not that good paint.
yea!!! it time to slip, slip, slip

it's allways fun to prepair rims for paint

at least the result was good

well, not so good, I didn't know that the rims had ET20, I didn't even know what ET was , so as you see on the picture I had to open the wheelarch a little, but by then I had allredy taken my license, and driven at Kinnekulle.

just love that picture, it looks like ready to kill.

http://www.garaget.org/video/59gr4m74eb1f
this was my fastest lap at Anderstorp 2009

this is Knutstorp 2009 with the BMW sport club, I just love this track, the only problem is that I got a little too confident after the first pass and...

then Victor from Schmiedmann told me that he totally destroied a quite new 1 series in that same corner the year before, so mine wasn't that bad , plus after that I woke up, and started driving quicker than other cars with bigger engines than mine

the rest of the track days went good, or at least good to be driving a heavy car with no power and street tyres, but towards the end of the summer I decided to do a little uppgrade on the handling by changeing to coilovers.

it's hard to believe that the H&R shock is just 2 years old. (2 winters from Göteborg)

then it was time to test at Gelleråsen, where all went as espected, being able to keep up with a compact that was faster in the straights, but not in the curves.

http://www.garaget.org/video/wwhpi2k42td2

that was last year, street tyres, allmost allways the slowest car in the track but a lot of fun.
this year I'm gonna try to be a little quicker so I don't have to drive with one eye on the track and the other on the mirror all the time
as you could see on the pictures the car started the season white and ended it white and grey, so that's one thing to fix, then the power problem, it has to be quicker but it has to hold, and then the grip, all this had to get done before summer 2010.

ok, we start with the paint, from the beggining I thought it would be enough with the rear wings and bumper but then I started looking and the front tyres had broken the "inneskärmar" so I'd have to do something about it...

yap, I just took a hammer and opened it up, and then I thought, hey I'm gonna have to paint this thing, mmmm, why not....

I haven't seen any other e36 whith that, so why not?

this came up quite round to be done by hand

then I welded from inside

ready to slip, slip, slip

yap the hole car again, I found some rust when I was sanding the car so why not take that too and do it propperly this time

base on

and clear on, nice ah , but still mutch to do...
one day I found a big aluminium plate at work that nobody wanted so I took it and did a safety plate for the engine, in case I drive off track again...

allways good to have
and now the power problem, It would cost too mutch to go up to arround 200hp with my 2 litre engine without a turbo or a compressor and it wouldn't hold as long as an original engine, so I took the decision to uppgrade to a M50 B25 witch has allmost 200hp and I can trust and keep original.
then I asked my boss if he could ring arround and try to get a good price on an engine, he did and after a week or so...

but not everything is happines in this story, the engine came from an automatic car so it wasn't gonna work, the kabbelhärva had 2 styrbox, one for the gearbox and one for the engine and the engine had vanos so I couldn't just take the cables from my 320 engine and I couldn't give the engine back because I got it very cheap, the only thing to do was to find another kabbelhärva from a manual 325 with vanos but without EWS (inmobilizer), that means 325 from 1993 . well it took 2 mounths to find, but we did, and finally we were doing an engine transplant

here is the old engine comming out before we knew that it wasn't gonna work

here is the M50 B20 out, someone wanna buy?

lighter flywheel for the 325 from F1 racing

new clouch

and this is some mounths later when it finally got done, notice the new kabbelhärva beside the 325 engine

yes!! its in!!

ok, now it's just to conect everything and we will be done

well, this won't work, the 325 has twin pipes all the way

thi was mutch better, biltema pipe, my old schmiedmann kats and original 325 silencer, this year the car is going to be a little more quiet

the grip is here

this was the first test for this year, hot day at Anderstorp I did 3 passes, and without feeling that I was driving to the limit of the tyres, I drove 11 seconds faster than the last year , but then the water temp went up and I had to stop, ventilkåpspackning easy fix but I coudn't drive the hole day .
this year I was thinking to install an oil cooler but I dont want to buy the ///M3 oil filter housing because I've allready bought an oljefilterförflyttare and I've seen that there is a way to do it without it, because I saw this on a cup car but I'd like to know how its done, anybody who knows?

do i just cut my oil filter housing and weld the line conections? thanks

BMW 320/25i family car + trackday car. tips needed
6158 besök totalt
Tack till alla våra trogna sponsorer som stöttar och håller Rejsa rullande